PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seletar Flying Club
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2005, 09:56
Aspire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Seletar FC and RSFC

Hi guys,

I have a PPL and it was done with RSFC. Yeah I agree that training in Singapore is indeed costly but I am in the opinion that the training is of a rather high standard. Also, with the kiasu mentality of CAAS, the aircraft are put through very stringent checks frequently to ensure airworthiness. In fact, the ELTs (Emergency Locator Transmitter) that the clubs were forced to install in the aircraft recently are of like airline standards. I hear that the device will transmit the aircraft registration as well as broadcast SARBE (Search And Rescue BEacon) signals in the event of a crash.. Hmm.. to me it's a rather extravagant waste of money.. but I guess when the authority says so, we all have to comply. Ok I have digressed but what I was trying to say here is that the aircraft registered in 9V (Singapore registration) are all very stringently enforced in terms of maintenance.. In fact in my personal opinion, too much for the good of General Aviation. It therefore costs more money becos you are getting safer aircraft to fly and more well trained instructors teach you. So I guess it's a case of what you pay is what you get.

Not trying to put anyone down but if you ask around about the safety track record of some of the flying clubs around the region, you will discover that there hasn't been a major mishap with the clubs in Singapore for a very long while already while the same cannot be said of the others.

It's also true that traffic and situational awareness will be well horned after training in Singapore. Since the airspace is limited and Seletar Airport can be real busy at times, it follows that being trained in Singapore forces you to have the habit of watching and listening out for other aircraft (really important to have to be a well-rounded pilot) incalcated into you so much so that is is ingrained and comes as second nature.

Lastly, while I think that it is expensive to take up flying lessons, it does paint a picture that you are really interested and serious abt flying. Even if you do not complete your PPL, it gives you a good grounding and indication of what is to be expected during the initial part of your training. I guess you can do this training while waiting for SIA to accept you as a cadet pilot. Once they do, you can always stop your own training and continue with College. Alternatively, if you are thinking of a familiarisation flight, it costs about S$280/hr in RSFC the last I checked. If anyone wants to know more about Singapore PPL or the flying clubs in Singapore or Johore, PM me and I may be able to provide some personal insights. Cheers and happy flying!