PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA/GATCO Forum 2005 - The Safety of Public Transport Flights Outside CAS
Old 4th Apr 2005, 10:08
rafman51

Danger Arteas/OTAs et all

Deliverance describes a size of 50x20nms as a minimum for any segregated airspace for such activities as takes place at the moment in the OTAs - particularly in the OTA E north of Newcastle. I do not see what is the problem about creating an overland MDA - surely CAT and GA pilots, it has got to be better to have a fully publicised military operating area, of known lateral and vertical dimensions, operating within notified hours booked with MABC the day before - then NOTAMed for the world to see. This would then incorporate the flexible use of airspace (FUA) and surely to the ultimate safety of ALL class G airspace users.

Comment was made regarding the Fighter Areas of Responsibility (FAOR) that are used during the major exercises - and the main area of concern seemed to be above FL245. I have to say that the comments made are plainly wrong - great efforts are made during the JMC Exercises to ensure that by co-ordination between the ScOACC Airways ATC Supervisor and the Exercise Planners the greatest use is made of FUA. Only one of the FAORs (in the JMC there are 2 - North and South) are used on any one day - and they are often capped (by NOTAM they are published as up to 55,000ft) at FL300 to enable the westbound Oceanic flow to proceed unhindered.

The problem, it seems to me, is at the policy making level - and the almost war between civil and military policy makers about how the airspace is divided up. If you look in mainland Europe there is a very restrictive aspect to military activity. In the UK there has traditionally been a more flexible approach. It would seem that this flexibility is getting a little brittle!! Surely (and I repeat myself) the greatest use of FUA must be made, and this should incorporate the creation of Overland sizeable MDAs that should be booked and used sensibly by Sqns and Exercise Planners - so that flight safety continues to be #1; and the CAT/GA are also able to have fair and safe co-use of the airspace.

Our Military aircrew have essential training to do, and it should be done in an airspace in which they are confident that they can complete the training safely and unhindered. CAT pilots have an onerous responsibility - the safety of their aircraft and passengers (not to mention themselves) whilst the airline management have made the decision to operate in the open FIR of Class G. As I have said in an earlier submission - statistically a mid-air collision in the open FIR of Class G is getting ever closer to reality with each passing day that one does not occur. THIS MUST BE SORTED OUT - NOW!

Take up the Hold

Not being military aircrew - my understanding is that unlike in the MDAs where the operations are mostly F3s v F3s - the OTAs are where the GR4s/Harriers/Jaguars are operating low level OVER LAND, whilst being bounced by the AD world - hence the need for the overland training.

I am sure someone from the RAF 2 Wing Master Race will tell me if I am wrong!