PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Holders Vs Available Jobs
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2005, 19:18
EGCC4284

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SteveAv

First of all I would like to say that my post was not intended to be nasty in any way.

I apologise to anyone who took it that way.

The point I was trying to get across is that the competition for employment at the end of many months or years of training is like no other profession.

Last winter, City Express advertised on their web site for pilots. They had 1200 replies for 5 positions.

Your chances of getting a job with them may be very slim, but this does not mean it's impossible.

I think the key to getting your first break is by getting a job airside, say as a dispatcher or in op's, and then networking as much as possible.

You should then treat every encounter as if it's with your future boss. You just never know who you may see sitting on the other side of the interview desk.

Ask yourself do you really want to be a commercial pilot and, if the answer is yes, get on with it, believe in yourself and ignore everybody who tries to tell you any different.

I am 38 years old this year and hoping to take my CPL skill's test in the next couple of weeks followed by my IR in May. It's taken me since August 1999 to get to this stage, due to the fact of working full time doing a 50 - 60 hours a week shiftwork job. Spent my savings and have remorgaged the house to pay for it. £30,000+. (very supportive wife)

It took me just over 3 years to get the ATPL exams done with Bristol due to working full time and I used all my holidays in the process. Not had a holiday with my family since time began.

But you know something, like I said in my original post, I am going to be a pilot unless my health lets me down. No ifs or buts, it's as simple as that.

I am absolutely adamant that one day I will be flying commercially unless I lose my licence due to ill health.

Think positive, follow your heart and never give up.

Aim high on your list and work down and not bottom of your list and up.