PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA/GATCO Forum 2005 - The Safety of Public Transport Flights Outside CAS
Old 2nd Apr 2005, 21:35
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rafman51, firstly, I want to emphasise that I asked about pre-briefing solely out of interest, and was not trying to make a point.

I don't disagree with what you are saying in general.

ASACS controllers providing a FIS have, where possible (ie when there is radar cover), additionally to pass traffic information where they consider that there is a definite risk of collision. This has been the case for at least 15 years, but is only now starting to be seen as appropriate by other controllers under what you describe as DOC.

I am concerned that some ATCOs seem to believe that they have some sort of non-deviating status under a RAS, and there is also some evidence of 'Flight Strip Focus', where ac calls for change of height or heading iaw flightplan, controller checks strip, sees it is so and approves the change apparently without reference to other activity in the UIR. I have even heard one supervisor say that the controller is effectively providing a 'RIS in the Upper Air' but perhaps that's one for another day.

If Flight Safety is an absolute priority for the civilian operators, there is absolutely no need for ac to transit through such large areas of Class G when Class A exists. I acknowledge their right to do so, but Regarding Class D, I don't see any problem with creation of CTAs and CTZs around major airprots to enable ac to join the Class A system. Would this improve things in the Borders? I doubt it, because time is money, and routing direct saves both.

STH