PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ006 Revisited
Thread: SQ006 Revisited
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2001, 08:33
Gladiator

All are valid points. Rockhound either does not understand the point regarding the PVD, or he or she understands it but is trying to divert attention. I think it is the latter.

It is very simple. Not withstanding the LOC tracking required for the SID (that would have also acted as a backup since SIA's SOP requires LNAV), why would one insert the ILS frequency if the intent was not to utilize it, at least as a backup. OK so the PVD was not required (TPE not certified), however the visibility is very very low, are you not going to use a resource, a good resource, available to you?

Hello, CRM, Resource Management!

The Captain's statement, "never mind, I can see the runway", was a clear 'Flying 101' mistake, not even misjudgement.

What is the first thing you do in low visibility? Trust your instruments. The decision to go was a misjudgement, thereafter he clearly made mistakes by,

a) Brushed aside a resource that he intended to use (having entered the 05L ILS frequency).
b) Brushed aside the F/O's input.
c) Ignored the PVD.
d) Ignored the ND (runway not ligned up).

I see nothing else but negligance. Now I am not picking on the Captain, however, bad judgement and serious mistakes indicate either,

a) A weak Captain.
b) Other factors such as pressure, company culture, fatigue, etc.

What Rockhound does not appreciate is that we are/were the insiders, whistleblowers, etc. If we do not/did not tell you, then who would? You would have never known the other elements.

When I attended the CRM courses at SIA, how come there were no local Captains attending the course? Too good? Too perfect? Master ability? If attend, lose face? What was it? Cost too much?

I never got a straight answer for the above question. Any locals care to clear this question?