PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Holders Vs Available Jobs
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2005, 11:20
reality check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SteveAv

To decide to invest all your money or not in anything you must make an informed and commercial assessment of the risks, which I commend you for doing. No investment should be made from the heart.

To get an ATPL from a good school is going to cost you about £100K by the time you factor in everything. (Please don’t change the thread everyone by costing a budget route).

So in many ways it is like investing in a new business. Many people invest huge amounts of money in a venture but only the most determined succeed. If you can take a £100K hit and survive after then do it, if not then don’t.

There is no way of knowing what the job market will be like when you qualify so this will remain the one factor you cannot answer ‘till you get there. The 6-12 months after you come out of training is critical. You will mainly be in competition with the people you qualify with.

It is difficult to determine how many licence holders are ready to go. I spoke with a very experienced training Capt who has been instrumental in pilot recruitment and training and is a big name in the low cost carriers. His view was that at any time there are about 800 low hour pilots in the UK fully current. During a peek period they could all get jobs and in a trough none will. The ‘800 pool’ is cyclic as people fail to remain current and are replaced by new people.

I\'ve just read a thread from mikepops, namely \'Funny/rude response from airline\'.

Take note of the complete hash he is making of getting a job. People like him will be your competion which should be a comforting thought!