PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantaslink
Thread: Qantaslink
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2005, 09:16
Erin Brockovich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's time to put up or shut up. We are our worst enemy. I can see signs that the pool of experienced pilots is already starting to dry up. The airlines and regionals should be asking them selves who is going to fly their aircraft in 5 - 10 years time?
You might be able to get a cadet to become a SO at 200hrs but not a FO or Capt. Where are the experienced (ie >1500T 500MC) pilots going to come from when no one takes up flying because they can't afford to.

Like most of you say, who in their right mind would get a licence (god knows what a CPL costs now) knowing in advance that after years in GA plus extra costs for C-ME IFR etc gets them a

($38k and paying up to 18K for Dash 8 endo AND have to live in expensive Sydney)
This is the worst time in the industry for operators to go asking for endos and paying peanuts. Lets just turn everybody away from flying.

This quoted from the QL email
The review highlighted the fact that this process is in line with industry practice and will allow QantasLink to better meet its overall pilot recruitment requirements
to better meet its overall pilot recruitment requirements
QL you have just lost my application before I have even considered applying. And I have passed the controversial psych test that seems to cull many suitable candidates.(not indended as a horn blow).

It is getting harder and harder to stay motivated in this industry. 'Pilot' will find its way next to the Tasmanian Tiger on the endangered species list in years to come if the current operators keep on the current path. The key to a successful business is happy (even able to support themself) staff. They are your company's investment, so invest in them and get the returns, real profits - not false ones by cutting costs.

There will be a 'correction' in the industry like the stock market sooner or later and the remaining pilots will benefit. IMO I don't believe a 'requirement change' will offset a shortage. Simply because the airlines won't be able to afford the increased insurance premiums when all they have left to command their aircraft are 200hr pilots. As for qualified overseas applicants qualified by whos standards? 100hrs on type 500total and a US ATPL?