PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HUMBERSIDE
Thread: HUMBERSIDE
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2005, 18:55
7006 fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a considerable amount of maintenance traffic in both UK and Europe that cannot get serviced quickly enough. Which major UK airports could facilitate the space for engineering without causing probelms for the Lo-co's etc. There are minimal slos at LGW/MAN/LHR etc, land is scarce although only 14% of the UK is built upon (12% in 1996). before anyone asks that includes flattening out the mountains!!!
To a lesser or greater extent; depending upon one's point of view, engineering jobs may offer better prospects than Easyair3 to Pisa thrice daily- great to provide a service to 'joe public' at back-breaking rates for an Airport -and don't say Lo-co's do not drive the hardest bargain (usually 'cos they say they only sell tickets for a £1 -haven't been able to phone on the Monday and fly on the Tuesday for a £1!, but that is a different economic argument). OK agreed the Lo-co provides an opportunity for 3/5 people to earn an average of 15k (cabin and flight crew combined-according to some of the ad's I've seen) and ignoring the airport staff on shift, as they need to be at the airport 24/7 or whatever, likely the jobs will be seasonal with the cabin crew renting somewhere, an assumption based purely upon the nature of the job.
Engineering tends to be more stable if the reputation/track-record/pedigree is there for the company, the type of employee is usually degree+ possibly ex-RAF, therefore a more mature family person earning a high salary and likely to stay in the area, develop a loyalty to their place of work, so creating dedication and a boost to the economy.
It is all a matter of winning the business and I hope the guys at HUY do,... as I am so p..sd off reading in the paper about warehouse opportunities/TescoAsda blah blah being the panacea for the area -come on.