PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantaslink
Thread: Qantaslink
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2005, 12:34
BankAngle50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IBEX just to correct you; the “rot” actually started with Impluse and the 8K the guys paid for a 1900 rating so they could live on 28K pa in Sydney. These monkeys still lead the way as the lowest paid 320 drivers outside Eastern Europe. Not defending VB in anyway, but at least the guys there get paid 15K pa in recognition that they funded their own training.

Sadly what many of you have alluded to, is that it would now be a more financially prudent move to become a bus driver. You don’t have to pay for rating and I would guess over a career you would probably now earn more.

When I learnt to fly there were 3 airlines here TAA, AN and QF. A pilot was a respected career and reward appropriately. Besides the love of aircraft I suspect this was a factor for many of use going ahead with this career instead of another, and as a result a lot of people were training back in the 80,90’s, there was an over supply. Conditions erroded and here we are. What about now? I recently went to YBAF and the only people training were Koreans airline cadets. Have the kids woken up that its better to pursue another profession? Makes you wonder where this is going to lead us.