PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ006 Revisited
Thread: SQ006 Revisited
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2001, 19:03
Rockhound

Tosh,
Thank you for your kind words but please believe me when I say that I hold very few certainties. Indeed, I find it difficult enough to gather simple facts (if there are such things). And I certainly don't feel confident that cockpit culture played little part in the SQ006 accident. I joined this particular discussion because Insider 107 alleged that at Tenerife the KLM captain took off despite the protests of his F/O and then proceeded to draw an analogy with the SQ006 crew in respect of the PVD indication. I still believe that Capt Foong fully appreciated F/O Cyrano's warning that the PVD was anomalous but that the concerns of both of them were overridden by the visual cues that indicated to them both that they were on the correct runway. Nothing that Insider, Gladiator, Titan, etc. have subsequently posted has caused me to change my belief. As to the role of other factors relating to SIA corporate/cockpit culture, practices, policy, etc. in this accident, e.g. pressure to take off in the face of an approaching typhoon, insufficient crew rest, and the like, I've formed some opinions but these are based on even thinner qualifications and subject to change without notice. After all, I'm just a pax who loves to fly and takes a keen interest in aviation - and considers it a privilige to be able to participate in discussions among airmen on PPRuNe.
Rockhound