PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantaslink
Thread: Qantaslink
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2005, 07:24
Ralph the Bong

A modest family of 4 will chew through about $800 per week during your training (4 weeks at least). Add that to No worries mates $19,000.

Factor in loss of income over this period: $3-4,000.

No entitlement to dole either.

Ya looking at coming up with around $27,000 to tide you over during this period.

Dont forget to add in the opportunity cost on $27,000. Or the interest if you borrow.

All of a sudden, Q-Link is starting to seem like a very bad deal.

Put another way, let's just say on your $42,000 ya manage to SAVE $2000 per year (yeah, I know , stop laughing. No chance with a wife at part-time work, 2 kids and a $150,000 mortgage)IT WILL TAKE 15 YEARS TO RE-SAVE YOUR OUTLAY. F#$%^ that!! Use the money to self-train into a career that gives a decent return.

I love the way that these management jerks now expect pilots to continually part with more and more of the family wealth to add to their BoNu$ and subsidise the companies operation. I hope that no Q-LINk pilots have subsequent financial worries that distract them from keeping their mind on the job!

I heard from a Delta pilot in FRT some time ago that Delta Connetion pilots were so badly paid that they were eligible for welfare assistance if they had kids. When one guy did ask for his entitlements the manager's ( presumably as a measure of their 'decency') put out a memo that any Delta Connection pilot who claimed welfare would be sacked!!

Evidently these managers were very worried that the public might actually find out about the sh!t conditions that they gave their staff. Shame that the same concern did not extend to their pilots who were working 2 jobs (now common with even mainline US carriers) in order to put bread on the table!