PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantaslink
Thread: Qantaslink
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2005, 06:36
No worries mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the same goes at Sunstate.

This was sent to all Sunstate applicants today.

Qantaslink has recently reviewed its procedures for First Officer Initial Pilot training. As a result new pilot recruits will be required to possess a Dash 8 endorsement as a pre-employment qualification.

The review highlighted the fact that this process is in line with industry practice and will allow QantasLink to better meet its overall pilot recruitment requirements.

Qantaslink First Officer initial training (that is, Dash 8 Ground School and Simulator Training) has traditionally been conducted in house by the company after a First Officer has been formally employed.

We wish to advise you that from May 2005, Sunstate Airlines will be changing their recruitment criteria. From this date First Officer initial training will be conducted by a Preferred Training Supplier and will be required as a pre-employment qualification. Consequently the majority of the cost of the Endorsement Program will be borne by the applicant. However a component of the cost will be subsidised by Sunstate.

The Sunstate recruitment process is unchanged. We will contact successful applicants and advise them of a Ground School date. A Conditional Letter of Employment (CLOE) will support this process. Essentially the CLOE states that you have a job with Sunstate Airlines provided you have satisfied the condition of a current Dash 8 Endorsement on your pilot's licence.

We are aware that these changes may affect your interest in working for Sunstate. If you are no longer interested in applying for employment with us please remove your application from StaffCV.

Yours sincerely,

Captain Don Anderson
Flight Operations Manager and Chief Pilot

Sunstate Airlines (Qld) Pty Ltd
ABN 82 009 734 703

View Sunstate StaffCV.com

QANTASLINK SELF FUNDED DASH 8 ENDORSEMENT
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

1 - How will the system work? The recruitment process as we currently know it will remain unchanged up to the point when a candidate is successful and placed on Active Hold. When a vacancy exists the pilot is advised and is provided with a Conditional Letter of Employment (CLOE) that is dependent upon having a valid Dash 8 Endorsement. We will have arrangements with a training provider who will be able to offer a Dash 8 Endorsement at competitive rates. We can also offer competitive finance with the Qantas Credit Union should it be required.

2 - What if I already have a Dash 8 endorsement? In instances such as these, QantasLink will provide in house simulator training at the expense of QantasLink to bridge any training gaps.

3 - Why has QantasLink created such a system? The "pay for your own endorsement" is very much an industry norm. This change will enable QantasLink to continue to contend successfully in a highly competitive market.

4 - How much will the endorsement cost me? At this point in time we are working with a number of potential suppliers to select a preferred supplier that will enable us to offer a subsided endorsement program. On this basis we expect the cost range to be $13,000 to $18,000 per endorsement.

5 - What if I fail the endorsement? Do I get my money back?
No

6 - Would I have a guaranteed job once I have the Endorsement? Yes, provided you have successfully been through our recruitment process and been issued a Conditional Letter of Employment. Once this is satisfied the Letter of Employment becomes active and you are provided with a full time job as a Dash 8 First Officer with QantasLink.

7 - What if I struggle through the training and require extra training in the Sim? Will this effect my employment and cost extra money? Your position as a First Officer is secure pending satisfactory completion of the Dash 8 endorsement training. By satisfactory, we mean that you progress at a rate within expected norms. QantasLink will be following your progress and be aware of any additional training requirements. If extra training is required it must be at the candidate's expense. This will be paid to the course provider and be visible on your training record.

8 - What if I have trouble during Line Training? Does the company assist me in getting through? From the commencement of Line Training you are a full employee. Normal processes will be applied to any candidates who struggle to achieve standards at this point.

9 - Would I be expected to resign from my current job in order to commence the Dash 8 ground school and endorsement training? Not at all, you are welcome to maintain your present employment right up until you commence employment with QantasLink and begin your Line Training.

10 - Could I source my own endorsement? The endorsement program we recommend is subsidised by QantasLink. Additionally, the QantasLink recommended program trains you to our procedures and standards. If a candidate were to be trained by an unknown endorsement supplier, any re-training would be at the individual's expense.

11 - Who is the training provider? We are currently going through a tender process to identify a training provider. We anticipate this will be finalised by mid May 2005 and we will advise the location of the training provider on StaffCV at that time.

12 - Will there also be a bond associated with the system? There is no bond associated with the system. A candidate is free to leave at any point in either the pre-employment or post-employment stage.

13 - Why Self Funded Training and not a bond? Bonds only serve to protect a company against insufficient return of service and poor return on investment.

14 - Do the minimum criteria for consideration as a pilot differ under the Self Funded Training model? The minimum criteria and indeed, the recruitment process, remains unchanged under the Self Funded Model.

15 - Would I get an allowances whilst under training? No, QantasLink will not be providing any remuneration prior to employment