PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emigrating to Australia to train/work???
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2005, 08:13
7gcbc
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmy,

as FSO Griff just said the queue starts way down there, however there are a few major differences in hour building compared with the UK.

Its easy (relatively) to get good complex SE time, the airspace is relatively unrestricted, and the aussies are a very good bunch when it comes to aviation (not too many wing-commander this and wing commanders that around).

Its fairly cheap in comparison to the UK, but bloody expensive if you want quality ME time and you are earning OZ pesos to pay for it, that in comparison to the GBP is often shocking.

The queue is long, and I mean very long, I don't know your circumstances, but a JAR ATPL and a few trips to the USA to build the hours will probably set you up well for the 'lines in the EU.

On the other hand, if you want to fly tailwheel, bush, andget exposure to some great flying, then OZ is pretty good, but if you are sacrificing the JAR ATPL for the lifestyle, then have a long ponder about the next 3-4 years.

As I said, I do not know your current job/finances, nor income, nor personal circumstances, if you are single, and work hard, and are prepared to go up north in OZ then you can make it, however if you have a well paid job in the UK, and can do the ATPL there, "buy" blocks in the US then you are better off financially.

To mitigate the risk of the class I down here, I would strongly suggest doing an initial JAA/JAR class I at gatwick before you come, you' still have to do an aussie class I , but that should be a matter of course if you have the JAR I

PM me if you want the low-down on costs living/casa conversion/medicals/sydney/etc

I won't recommend any school, nor any jobs, but I can tell you what I have experienced, and we are thinking of coming up north to earn some lucre to finance some USA Courses, that is of course if I can hold my patience at US Immigration

[edit: to correct 7gcbc's appaling comprehension, just saw IT on your profile, PM me I can DEFINITELY give you advice and info on that market]

cheers

7g

Last edited by 7gcbc; 30th Mar 2005 at 08:40.