PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Good opinions of Cathay??
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2001, 09:40
Osiris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT and your guild

I have recently received an offer of employment from CX. While I appreciate that I don't know all there is to know about the problems up there and I very much sympathise with those who lost their jobs, I think it is worthy of considering a few points.

I and many others like me have been applying to CX for along time, well before the initial problems in 99. It is most unfortunate that the time they decided to call me has been now.

I will be taking a position as a S/O. Am I really going to take the job of the Cpt with 23 years experience with the company? I was under the impression that the idea was to get him his job back not demote him several positions. Will the upgraded S/O's and F/O's feel the wrath of the union?

Disallowing membership to the unions. Why? I would have thought that you would have wanted more membership and less individual contracts, is that not the philosophy of unions? I am currently a member of a union and was more than willing to sign up with the AOA if invited. If this is not the case then so be it and if you don't like it then I don't really care, because it is your short sightedness. If you intend to keep this attitude until the 51 get reinstated then unfortunately (sincerely) I feel that with the current recruitment going on, it won't be long before you are well into a minority and do you really think that those you ostracized are going to come to your aid if you need it?

Blacklisting from the unions. At my age this is probably the last opportunity I am going to get to work for an international airline and certainly the last in HK. Therefore if I join the company and am never allowed to join the union, or if I give up my ambition to fly internationally, the result is the same so again I don't care.

A Scab is something that heals wounds. I don't find this offensive.

All those who were at some stage in the position of being able to fulfill their career ambition and knocked it back because someone else told them to please raise your hands. (those with their hands up are either unemployed or liars).

If someone can rationally explain to me why the Unions have decided to take this stance, I would honestly like to know. I understand how emotive this issue is so please refrain if you feel the need to chastise me, as if you take that approach then again I don't care.

My head is on the block so start swinging.