PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threads about fatalities (was Light Aircraft Down, Today at ...)
Old 29th Mar 2005, 09:18
High Wing Drifter

PPRUNE Towers suggested that threads about fatalities change pilots' behaviour, while accident reports months later do not do so. I'm not convinced. At the weekend I made a safe decision because of a report I must have read 14 years ago.
As induhviduals, I am pretty certain that whatever our guess is as to what 'improves' our behaviour is not really comprehensible. I would hazard a guess that the affect of discussion is inversely proportional to your experience. However, I am also sure that some seemingly innocuous event on the conscious level will have a disproportionate effect on the subconscious level.

However, there are number of accident reports that have stuck in my head and non more so than an incident where the pilot failed to ensure his seat was locked down properly. Do I check the mechanism before every flight - yes I do. Is this disproportionate response given what is more likely to go wrong - possibly.