PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - lame moral at qantas
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2005, 07:51
rammel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completed my apprenticeship in the early 90's and over 90% of our year was told that we were surplus to requirements. Back then we were told we could apply for jobs within the company and miraculously job were found on the ramp, in res and at catering for those that wanted to stay in the company.

Maybe about 15-20 people in that year found jobs in other areas and only 2 or 3 of them have found their way back to enginnering. I liked working in Engineering but fortunatly for me I found the grass greener outside E&M.

I still work in an area where my skills can play a very minor role but I would most likely without OT still earn more than most AME's at the base or in the workshops.

So I guess I am saying that there are skilled people out there as there was about 80-90 people in my year, but no one is going to come back to QF to work for peanuts.

As Son Of Brake Boy Says:

Maintain the rage

Also for the record I am in a position that is no where near as hard as a 4 year apprenticeship, it was probably 6 weeks training and the salary is about 50k plus approx 28-30% shift penalties.