PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - lame moral at qantas
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2005, 00:36
Pappa Smurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a good wage

A standard monday to friday 40 hour week in any job isnt that good in the wallet department.

Australia is short of tradesmen etc at the moment and especially in the mining industries.They can make well over 100 grand a year,but in the end their base is still only in the 50-60 grand mark.

The rest is made up of working 2 weeks straight(sometimes more--up to 6 weeks) doing 12 hour shift work out in the bush in the dust and heat.Then old Johnny takes half.

Pay more overseas----expensive countries yes--dont think i would want 50g base living in switzland,but working for garuda i would be laughing.

Then again Sydney not to cheap.I know an over 21 apprentice AME who loves it but after paying $280 a week for a house,cant really lash out on things--------but then again ,who really can what ever job you have.

Not sure but i think consumer price index hasnt risen much in the last few years and that tends to keep pay increases down.

I look through the daily job adds and im astounded at some wages even in the IT game.No where near where i thought they were so im quite happy to stay where i am----im not with an airline though.

For the record------my base is 56g after 28 years service