PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The DVD/ Movie the Public needs to see!
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2005, 11:30
Romeo Tango Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to rescue MkVIII a little (he needs a hand lately - foot in mouth syndrome ) He deserves it.

Landing the DC-3. Assuming the pilot has correctly crossed the threshold at 50 ft, and correct approach speed and such, a wheeler landing WILL, as HSWL says, give a shorter landing DISTANCE. A 3 pointer will require more DISTANCE (float etc), but the ground roll will be SHORTER. So, it is 6 of one, and half a dozen of the other.

Now, if you flew the -3 at the arse end of the speed / drag curve, and 3 pointed it, you could make the girl land SHORT, and I mean SHORT! But, GREAT judgement, skill, and attention required!

TAA SOP was as mentioned 3 point everything, until one TAA PIC managed to do mischeif to a DC-3 at Forrest, WA. Then, TAA became the Wheeler Airline!

I do NOT recommend retracting flaps on landing to dump the lift and weight the wheels in a DC-3 - a certain pilot in PNG successfully raised the gear on landing instead of the flaps - the handles look almost IDENTICAL.... of course he was fired for it, and went to the opposition. It is NOT a good thing in ANY aeroplane, even with 2 crew.