PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Changes the Contract - Again!
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2005, 10:24
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will be a simple post in the midst of numerous posts made by others who are highly politically aware. My strengths are in the technical field, and that's where I've concentrated my effort, accepting the rewards of the politically alert and active. To those who have worked so hard on my behalf, not without casualty, I offer my sincere thanks.

I was always a "Company" man, both in SIA and my previous employer, my company could do no wrong. I believed in a fair system of give and take, I went the extra mile for them when necessary, and they in turn were most helpful in going their extra mile for me if I encountered a problem. That always worked out - In the past! Now, belatedly, I realise that a fair system of give and take belongs with honourable people, and SIA is no longer an honourable organisation.

I do not speak disparigingly here of our Fleet management. In my own fleet (B777) from the Chief Pilot down to the most humble Supervisory Captain, we could not wish for a more decent and honourable group of people in ANY organisation. It is an extremely pleasant experience in working in such a non threatening environment. Pilots from other fleets say much the same thing. There is an abundance of 'honour' amongst fleet management. The same cannot be said for the blood suckers at higher levels.

Following SARS, we all gave, in the company's interest, they happily took what we gave. The economic impact of SARS was over within about 3 months, but still, the salary cut went on to the present day, amidst huge profits. How nice of us to subsidise their profit. And now, it's our turn to take, and we wait and we wait and we wait. Even if the 'refund' arrived tomorrow, it's much much too late. SARS is no longer a factor, it has not been for a very long time.

If I were much younger, my footsteps would be amongst those leaving for greener (sandier) pastures, but at my age this is not an option, nor is much else. It would sadden me to go (if I could) because SIA is a truly wonderful airline to work for. I'm here for the duration.

Even with all of their other warts and blemishes, there are still a reasonable number of fairly honourable airlines around. SIA is not one of them.

Now, the minnow is leaving the pond, I'll hand the forum back to the sharks.

Regards,

Old Smokey