PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HUMBERSIDE
Thread: HUMBERSIDE
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2005, 19:32
7006 fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank Heavens, people are talking beyond 'bucket and spade' and scheduled services and towards things that really create jobs. As we all know Airport pay is not that brilliant and it can be a toss-up (for some people) whether Tesco check-out pay is better, especially with delayed flights and extra rosters etc. A maintenance hangar would facilitate skilled jobs and the opportunity for training, add to this; as mentioned earlier, some form of 'spoke' parcel service creating data management jobs etc and things could start rocking.
HUY has a future, certainly not competing with Finningley's 'subsidised to the hilt' lo-cost (and no-one tell me there are no incentives and Thomsonfly are paying book rate) Given there is so much Objective 1 euromoney in Finningley might Charleoi be an issue, who knows.!
Anyhow Humberside looks set to be stable and not 'peak and trough' like some other Airports and they are doing it with profits without the need to cut staff or pay. ( I read somewhere Ryanair pay their training FO 's/newly qualifieds about £8,500pa!!!)
Humberside has a loyal following, despite what one sees in the press and written in some sectors of the community here. It has no illusions of being Heathrow or predicting massive passenger numbers (unlike some) and what is the point of maxxing effort for minimal return, which makes better sense in a CBA?:
1.5m pax and £10,000 profit
.5m pax and £10,000 profit

I know which I would prefer to grow!