PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus
Thread: Astraeus
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2005, 14:41
London Jets

Location: JMC Mining Ship, Red Dwarf. 3 million years from earth.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have just about read enough of this, I think there are some very bitter people out there who, for whatever reason are intent on laying into Astraeus. Now Every airline has good points and bad points, every airline has crew that people like flying with and crew people don't like flying with. Now why have some of you decided to make this a personal slanging match rather than expressing an opinion? Do you not think that a little unfair?

Ok so some airlines have been around a lot longer than Astraeus and yes AEU is just about to celebrate its 3rd Birthday but every airline had to start somewhere. Whether it is from the ashes of another airline, merging and rebranding two airlines or from scratch. Now as AEU started as a brand new airline you have to give everyone credit for getting them to the established and successful charter airline that they are now.

I work for Astraeus, infact I joined last year as a direct entry SCCM in May and what I am reading here on this thread is totally pathetic. If someone wants a career flying surely we should be encouraging them? Yes give them advice and share you experiences but why make it a personal slanging match? Every Astraeus thread seems to give the same sort of response as this one and the only people who slag it off are the same on every thread. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything.

Yes it is widely known that pprune have some of their moderators who are Astraeus employees, who honestly cares who they work for? They are doing a job in their own time and not getting paid to do it. Yes Danny Fyne (who set up pprune) worked for Astraeus but he left a couple of months ago to work for Virgin I think it is. There are a lot of Mods here who don't work for AEU as well so don't forget that either but does it really matter who they are and who they work for?

As for Astraeus as a company to work for, well that is up to the individual who works at Astraeus. If someone has not had a good time working for Astraeus then fair enough, knock it on the head and put it down to experience. No employer can keep 100 percent of its staff happy all the time and I quite accept that some of you may have had some bad experiences in previous or current airlines, whether it be at BA, Astraeus, Virgin, First Choice or anyone else. What you have to understand is the majority of people who work at AEU enjoy it and if they don’t they it is their decision to stay or go, if that individual stays then they have to deal with their problems, if they go then best of luck to them. What right do they have to make a personal attack on individuals or the company? If they want to share their experience and story then so be it. Advice is fine attacks are not.

Now I appreciate, and I’m sure a lot of other people will agree that Astraeus has a high turnover of staff, Ok well so does Easyjet, Ryanair, First Choice, My Travel and a few other companies, even Tesco, McDonalds, Woolworths and other companies have high turnovers of staff. What I am saying is that people join a company and when another opportunity comes along that will further their career then it is up to them to seize the moment. What is wrong with that? Ninety-nine percent of us have ambitions and goals and it is up to us to achieve those targets we set ourselves. For those of us who have chosen to stay at Astraeus it is our decision and I for one am happy at Astraeus. Yes I have goals and ambitions but I like the company I work for and I can achieve a lot at Astraeus, there are the same opportunities available to each and every one of us who works for Astraeus. It does not matter how long you have flown for, if you are up to the standard required of a SCCM, Standards Coordinator, Trainer or whatever other position you want to apply for then the chances are you will be successful. I have not met anyone who does not deserve to be in the position they are in at Astraeus.

I am not saying Astraeus hasn’t got its faults because there is no airline that is perfect. However in the three years that AEU has been operating surely they deserve a lot more credit than some of you are giving them, let us look at what happened thee and a half years ago and look at how the industry was then, most people would have thought anyone who wanted to start an airline that soon after 9/11 must be mad, but the dedication of the staff have made that possible and successful. Astraeus is growing and expanding and with more routes and bases coming along it certainly is an airline worth working for.

Why do you always hear of bad news on the TV? Because that is what people want to hear? Why do you not hear about the good news that happens in the world? Because if you heard about the good things there would be nothing else on TV. It is the same here, everyone wants to slate Astraeus but if all the people who work for and enjoy it at Astraeus post on here then I’m sure the doubters would be outnumbered 20 to 1.

L J

Last edited by London Jets; 22nd Mar 2005 at 14:57.