PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speed Cameras
Thread: Speed Cameras
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2005, 12:00
WebPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
posted 16th March 2005 12:39
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not necessarily intentful human interaction. The speeding idiot doesn't intend to kill anyone either.

And your point is?

quote:

So you honestly think increasing your speed wont reduce the amount of time you have to react? Please do explain.

I am not arguing the effects of speed, but the absolute relationship between speed and safety, that you allude to when you say "many road deaths could have been avoided if the driver wasn't going so fast". The safest roads in the UK are the fastest, the motorways. Go figure.

quote:

I don't know how those statistics were put together, so it's hard to comment. Anyway, it's not really the point as those stats deal with the cause of accidents and don't deal with the consequences. Obviously, if you have a collision at speed the consequences of an accident, through whatever cause, are going to be more serious than at lower speeds.

The stats are from the DETR and Police sources. Obvously a higher speed crash will be more damaging, but the relationship of higher speed is not, inter alia, proportional to the likelihood of crashing, as the stats (from every source, other than some very well massaged ones put out by the Speed Kills mob) show.

quote:

But it's not just "themselves" we're talking about. Road users kill other road users. So everyone is forced to, as you say, "get used to it".

Indeed. It's called Life. If you don't like it, might I suggest staying in bed with the duvet over your head? You'll still not live forever, but that is the nature of it.

quote:
Agreed But I actually do have an issue with some of the ridiculous speed limits too.

Ah. A hobby horse. I thought there might be one somewhere.

Last edited by WebPilot; 16th Mar 2005 at 12:32.