PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speed Cameras
Thread: Speed Cameras
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2005, 11:39
chromate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is a truism. No gun has ever killed a person without human interaction. Fact
Not necessarily intentful human interaction. The speeding idiot doesn't intend to kill anyone either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fact is, the slower you go, the more time you have to react safely to a given situation. By extension, many road deaths could have been avoided if the driver wasn't going so fast. End of story.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, not fact at all, or the end of the story. Check the stats I posted earlier. Speed *alone* is rarely the cause.
So you honestly think increasing your speed wont reduce the amount of time you have to react? Please do explain.

I don't know how those statistics were put together, so it's hard to comment. Anyway, it's not really the point as those stats deal with the cause of accidents and don't deal with the consequences. Obviously, if you have a collision at speed the consequences of an accident, through whatever cause, are going to be more serious than at lower speeds.

And people wouldn't kill themselves if they didn't fall off ladders, electrocute themselves etc etc. Life is dangerous. Get used to it.
But it's not just "themselves" we're talking about. Road users kill other road users. So everyone is forced to, as you say, "get used to it".

My issue is not the limits, or the consequences, but the manner of policeing. As I say, thin end of the wedge.
Agreed But I actually do have an issue with some of the ridiculous speed limits too.