PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speed Cameras
Thread: Speed Cameras
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2005, 14:22
BEagle

Received 333 Likes on 116 Posts
Spry, one thing that infuriates me most is the 'nanny state' inappropriate speed limits which have sprung up in recent years, particularly here in Oxfordshire.

I have it on good authority that the local Bill are equally scathing of the huggy-fluffies' obsession with lower speed limits, and are often viewed quite wrongly as the villains of the piece. Whereas actually the people to blame are the rabble-rousing local greenies who seem to think that bicycles are the only true way...

Years ago, if you showed someone a photo of a road and said 'guess the speed limit', most people would get it right. But nowadays there is simply no rhyme or reason to the absurdly low limits sprinkled around Oxfordshire. It's always a breath of fresh air when I hit the Warwickshire border and escape to sanity on my drive to Birmingham airport.

There would be much greater respect for speed limits if they were set according to a national policy and not by the local 'mad vegetarians on bicycles' as Jeremy Clarkson so rightly terms them. I can just remember the first 40 mph limits with their odd roadsign and the first of the 'holiday weekend 50 mph limits' as well as the blanket 50 mph era. But now there are places near here (B4022 Witney to Hailey) where the limit is 30, 60, 40, 30, 60 in less than 1.5 mile.... And the only blind 90 deg bend is in the 60 mph section! Barking bloody mad!!

And Kite - keep your bloody kids off the road if you want them to live!