PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This is the cheapest way to get a JAA ATPL
Old 11th Mar 2005, 13:13
sk8erboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs has hit the nail on the head.
Moo has sparked such a reaction because he has come here stating that a person can achieve a JAA CPL/IR for £16000. This is rubbish. Moo hasn't brought any great revelation to the forum, people have been doing this for years. And were you to ask any of them if it cost them under £16000 I bet not one would say yes. Also if it was that easy why are schools here still in business? It is irresponsible to get peoples hopes up, or indeed to send them training having only budgeted for £16k. Indeed it is ludicrous. He then throws accusations around about people who disagree with him having ulterior motives. I would suggest that he may be the one with an ulterior motive. I am always suspicious of people posting aggressively when they have only been on prune a week or two. Perhaps business in the US is slow?
I would humbly disagree with Scroggs on the point of getting that first job. I have attended several interviews in the last 4 months, and the one thing which was always picked up on when going over my log book was that I had trained for my CPL/IR in the UK, indeed one said outright they only take people who have. This may be the opinion of one or two dinosaurs, but at the end of the day it is they who are doing the recruiting. Luckily I did get a job, at the airfield I did my hour building from. And I apportion this in no small part to being able to talk enthusiastically about the area. It is a tough job market at the moment, and anything which makes you more marketable has to be worth it. And the attitude is still very prevalent - 'train where you want to work'. However I agree entirely that once that first job is gained it doesn't matter a damn from that point on.

Carb, to venture an answer to your question, I would guess it is because the company can guarantee the quality of training, and indeed decide the syllabus which it's students will follow to an extent.

Fingers sore now - go easy on me!