PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Older Aviators Require Assistance
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2005, 12:00
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not one I use, but:

WATPIKTCH = We Aim To Please, It Keeps The Cleaners Happy.

Some more:

FWIW = For What It's Worth
ATEOTD = At The End Of The Day
ISTM = It Seems To Me
IMO = In My Opinion
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

It is interesting (OK not that interesting) that for those suffering ISS, there is lots of emphasis on getting rid of superfluous phrases to make writing more precise, quicker to read and easier to understand. ISS is several years ago for me, but the yoofs seem to use these phrases to do exactly that. You can ignore most of these abbreviations, and they do not make any significant difference to the meaning of the sentence.

Back to other modern 'words' used by Yoof. I have a 13-year old:

Grunt - I acknowledge that dinner is on the table, I will be down momentarily (if I can be bothered).
Eraher - I don't know.
Grunt - I am fully aware of the time, but am not yet ready to turn my light off and go to sleep; instead, I plan to continue in my current pursuit (PS2/TV/DVD/Gameboy/reading/listening to music etc ....)
GRUNT! - Father, would you mind terribly if I don't take you up on the kind offer of a haircut?
Hrrumff - Alright, on this ONE OCCASION I am prepared to forego my principles and agree to have a haircut/clean my teeth/take a shower/tidy my room/allow Mum to vacuum my room.
Don't Care - I am starving hungry, but refuse to lower my standards, thus giving the impression that I have an opinion about what I would like to eat.

This is a small selection of meanings, but unless he is in particularly good mood, covers almost his entire routine vocabulary; unfortunately I am unable to communicate the exact infexions used in the various forms of Grunt.

Regards

STH

Last edited by SirToppamHat; 10th Mar 2005 at 14:34.