PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This is the cheapest way to get a JAA ATPL
Old 9th Mar 2005, 21:46
moochooser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The prices I have quoted were quoted to me from schools in the UK. Are they lying?
You are right, I have not done the conversion and hope I never have to but I did not make these prices up. I currently fly PIC in a twin turboprop on an N reg in the UK and hope to find an international job that doesn’t require JAA licenses, the search will begin in a few months. I found out the information in case I have no option other than the conversion. I know it would be hard for a low time pilot to complete in minimum hours but how many people fail their IR on an integrated course, is the retraining included? It is not for everyone and some parts would not be for me such as the distance learning, I would prefer to pay a bit extra and do a residential course, probably at Bristol or Cranfield. I am not trying to deceive people here I am just stating the facts. This IS the cheapest way to get a JAA ATPL and it is possible. Even if you didn't do it in minimum hours you would have to be pretty crap to eat up even half of the money you saved, if you did you should probably look for another career. I am just providing information for people who are thinking of starting out as there are lots of people eager to get their hands on the mountains of money involved and who would not tell them every option. I however have nothing to gain

I just had to add this as it is so crazy.

"Even if you ate up half of the money you saved". Half the money is 15,000 pounds. Insane it is 15,000 pounds. Two and a half years rent where I live. A very nice second hand Porche. A cessna 152. 120 hours in a twin in the states!!!! It is a stupid ammount of money and that is only HALF of what you could save.

No mater what argument you use it would not change the fact that this is by far the cheapest way to get the license. Landing fees/ test fees/ accommodation/ flights to the US etc. It dosent matter you would still be saving a huge ammount of money. Also many of those costs are not included in the UK prices anyway so you would have to add them onto the £50,000 if you went integrated.

Last edited by moochooser; 9th Mar 2005 at 22:04.