PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is having done extra-curricular activities?
Old 9th Mar 2005, 09:10
F/O Speaking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arpansingla,

You are obviously a very academically gifted person with predicted grades like those. The sort of person who should have no trouble with the ATPL ground school NAVs and TECH Exams.

You`ll find that further maths whilst being a very creditable qualification will not really benefit you in your Pilot Training. Normal A Level maths will be more than adequate.

Personnally I would spend the time doing the DofE developing other skills such as leadership, teamwork etc etc. I looks much better on your CV.

At the end of the day it will come down to the all important interview where the difference between you and the next guy will decide who gets the job. Remember both of you will probably be sat there with similar academic qualifications and exactly the same flying qualifications.

When they ask you things like, "Tell us a time when you have shown leadership skills," or "Worked well as a team." it`s nice to have something good to pull out of the hat.

Airlines are not just looking for pilot`s, they are generally assessing you as a potential Captain, i.e a manager. They want to know your personal skills. Can you work as a team? Can you lead? D of E is good for all these sort of things.

From someone who has been in your shoes, has sat in a few interviews for the airlines and struggled with some of those tricky interview questions, Do the DofE.

PS I got there in the End.