PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recruiting a problem
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2005, 20:17
dessert_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having been a spectator to prune for a few years now i thought this would be an appropriate time to post my first reply.
Having been in the RAF for 25 years i have seen many changes to how we do things. It seems that all people say is "it was better in my day" and inform us of how much fun it used to be. I for one still enjoy the job i do and believe i will do until i am forced to leave.
However it is that last bit about having to leave, i believe is one of the main reasons that a recruitment problem exists. Gone are the days whe the military was a job for life. Even if you are at the top of your particular tree, one day it is likely that the axe will fall, and at an inappropriate time of life you will be forced onto the civilian job market More often than not it will be at a time when you have young children and possibly a mortgage to sustain. To join the military is a temporary situation and you must prepare yourself to leave when you are requested to, or forced to (redundancies).
The fun does still exist (although being eroded) and the ability to see the world (especially sandy bits) is still there.
Having been ground and aircrew, i have realised that the only place to be is in the air, still a great job.