PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Introduction of Anti-Ageism Regulations 1st October?
Old 6th Mar 2005, 20:14
Compass Rose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I joined the RAF at age 23 - at the top end of the age limit. I remember that, before I commenced flying training, OC 100 Sqn told me (at a B of B cocktail party) that the RAF were really interested in the 17 - 18 years olds due to their steeper learning curve.

Funny old thing, most of the younger guys on my Jet Provost course were chopped. I fought my way through to multi's relying on my few extra years maturity to overcome the various pressures and obstacles.

My point is that it really is a balance. Yes, it is a help to be young, flexible and a fast learner. However, flying is for grown ups and that helps too. The skills and experiences (once learned and honed for a few years) don't go away.

I am really irritated by (and sympathetic to) the plight of fireflybob. I once knew a pilot who took voluntary redundancy from BA and spent 17 years running a business. He returned to commercial flying in his fifties and ended up with a B737 command.

It really worries me this trend towards young and cheap pilots and I am sure I'm not the only one. Airlines know the price of everything and the value of nothing these days.

Toodle Pip