PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is having done extra-curricular activities?
Old 6th Mar 2005, 00:57
Flashdance9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rubbish WHYEYEMAN.

I think we are losing context with the whole subject

Charcter and personal quality develpoment is related to your maturity.

Unfortunatley I lacked maturity, thus why I chose to got to UNI first than join RAF direct. Personal qualities are viewed as more important than intelectual skills - hence why you dont need a degree to be a pilot! But most people go to UNI to develop themselves and have a good back-up plan.

Bottom line is do what you enjoy, but in no way can you compare yourself to your competitors as everyone is at a different stage of maturity/age etc.

If YOU are at school and cant afford flying yet, why not help youself out now by working hard, doing some activities which are FREE to take part of, than getting pissed up every night.
Then once you've done your work on the ground, attain the succes you deserve in the air!

If you want Ailrine Sponsorship (which seems so rare, or for even RAF too) you need to be better than your competitors. A CV loaded with experience gives you that edge - as well as all the qualities of leadership, management & team playing, which show through in interviews, group exercises.

If you are a natural born leader, team player, manager etc then dont worry, apply with no evidenece to back your claims up with- perhaps as WHYEYEMAN has. But if you want to keep the dream alive just as much as the rest of us, I'd do your best at every oppurtunity you are given.

Bootom line; WHYEYEMAN, who are you? What have you ever done or achieved?? Why dont you start helping others out, we all want to be pilots.