PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is having done extra-curricular activities?
Old 5th Mar 2005, 09:31
arpansingla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is having done extra-curricular activities?

Hi there folks.

At the moment i'm doing my GSCE's. I would say i'm an able student, I'm predicted 6 A*'s and 4 A's. I'm in the process of choosing my A levels, and may decide to do Further Maths (requires you to have got A* in the GSCE) instead of normal maths in order to show a potential employer that i have a further understanding of maths. If i decide to do Further Maths i will not have any free periods during college hours, hence i will have less time to do extra-curricular activities. Many people tell me that airlines dont just look at your grades, but also your personality, and your extra-curricular skills. I could do the Duke of Edinburgh award and this would probably demonstrate that i have team skills etc. If i do normal maths for A level i would have 4 free periods, in order to do extra curricular stuff.
My question is, how important is doing extra curricular stuff in terms of gaining employment with airlines? I currently play a wide range of team sports outside of college hours, eg. football, cricket and hockey. Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards
Arpan

Last edited by arpansingla; 5th Mar 2005 at 10:17.