PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this any way to treat a customer?
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2005, 06:54
bealine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think by "Big Airways" you happen to mean BA? However, it doesn't matter a damn, because when disruption hits the fan, all airlines get thrown into all sorts of chaos - even more so, nowadays, because at the end of the day, it's all down to money!

1. Pax want to pay ever lower fares.

2. Airlines lose revenue and cut staff.

3. Airlines still lose revenue, re-negotiate contracts with suppliers (caterers, wheelchair operators etc)

Inevitably, service suffers as a result of the loss of revenue.

BTW, you don't say what you were doing at the Customer Service desk - waiting for refreshment vouchers and your two phone calls, I expect. If that's the case, that your waiting for your "EU Legislation Entitlement", then you can expect lengthy queues - no airline is going to employ extra staff to give these out willingly when the Railway Network, the Highways Agency, Transport for London etc doesn't have similar obligations!!!

......And, please save your breath referrring to "Why does Belgium not have the same problems as CDG or AMS?" It could be for any one of a number of reasons - the airports may not even be closed, just accepting fewer flights. No one at the airport would know, it's the local Air Traffic Control in AMS or CDG that decides who can, and who can't fly!

Having said all this, I agree that the sitiation is shoddy, and you shouldn't be treated this way - but then, as airline staff, it is also very unfair that we are put under this pressure as well!
2 short-haul flights cancelled = 290 passengers to be dealth with by 2 Customer Service desk staff! (.....and still the stupid s*ds expect to turn up at the same desk for a Hand Baggage Check In!!!)

Welcome to 2005's Airline World!!!