PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Desperately in need of a job
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2005, 11:26
Carpathia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I not right in thinking that airlines train all new recruits to deal with any possible problem that may arise regardless of whether they have 200 or 20,000 hours?
Wrong, you get taught to deal with a certain set of problems, as laid down by the syllabus for the TR. At 200 hours this is all you will know, at 20,000 hours you will have seen enough to be able deal with a far far vaster array of possible problems. It would be impossible to teach every conceievable problem in the sim, so the ability to deal with problems outside the box is the (vital) ability that comes with experience. I don't of course claim that some guy with lots of hours could deal with any given problem, but believe me, (s)he has a infinitely greater chance of success than FO 200 hours.

That is why the safety pilot is signed off at a stage where the line training captain is satisfied that such a circumstance can be handled by the pilot's experience level.
With respect, what utter rubbish. You really think 10 (or less) sectors can equip you to deal with our hypothetical problem, or indeed problems of a FAR less great magnitude? You will loose your safety pilot as soon as you can demo a satis single-pilot approach and landing in good conditions (as the captain will end the charade the minute anything vaguely out of the ordinary arises). If you think this "test" qualifies you to handle any situation out there, think again, fast.

So when should someone be allowed into the RHS of a jet?
Only when they have experience of sitting in the RHS of a jet, with a dead captain, a dead engine and icing conditions?
The point is that, while the actual problem may not have been experience before, the capacity to deal with it increases exponentially with experience.
The answer to the question is, when the pilot has gained said experience, say at least 1000 hours. Yes, of course I know this won't happen, but that doesn't make it right.

working as an instructor, salaried better than most LO-CO new hires who paid for their own type ratings.
That's good, seems to me the best way to go, better money and MOL is not firmly wedged up your behind. Hang in there and you'll get a good airline job sooner or later.

flying Lancasters out to occupied Europe with 250hrs maximum.
Hmm, somewhat different levels of safety expected here though I think!

And before I get shot down by lots of wannabes, I started out flying jets at low-hundred hours and I would take the job again, of course you'd be mad not too. But that doesn't change the fact that in hindsight I realise my lack of experience at that time could have been a very large potential safety hazard. The problem is with the system, not the pilot.