PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DVD from CASA
Thread: DVD from CASA
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2005, 03:06
Icarus2001

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts
Obviously you live in an area with ready availability of ADSL or similar broadband
Yes I do. As do MOST pilots, by definition. I am on dial up.
Pilots in these areas are pretty familiar with local procedures and usually with ATC and controoled airspace.
This is demonstrably untrue otherwise we would not have 1100 VCAs a year! Interesting that in my limited experience of twenty years I find that pilots going to new airports put in the effort to learn the system and will tell the tower they are "unfamiliar". However pilots who fly regularly from one GAAP airport tend to become complacent about changes and shock horror, do not buy a new ERSA and so miss out on subtle and not so subtle procedures changes. Why should I buy a new ERSA when I only fly locally ! Go the the AsA site and print the pages you need from the ERSA for FREE!
Would you have them download a DVD from a system where the line drops out every 30 minutes???
Yes I would. The data is broken down on the web page in to areas so you only down load the parts you need, not the whole country! You would be aware that an interrupted download can easily be continued after reconnection without starting at the beginning again.
J-Curve thinking, very narrow minded.
I do not live in the J curve.

DVD is the way to go.
I disagree but what about the compromise of a limited amount of CD/DVDs distributed through training organisations and then loaded on school PCs AS WELL AS on the website? If I am wrong tell me why Airservices Australia did not produce a CD/DVD?