PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Desperately in need of a job
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2005, 17:58
Carpathia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I said there is no such thing as a Frozen ATPL and there is not. I think you will look long, hard and unsuccessfully if you try to find any licence of this name.

I refer to the JAR-FCL:

Pilots who have passed the
ATPL(A) examinations, who hold a JAR-FCL
CPL(A)(R) with Instrument Rating and a valid type
rating on a multi-pilot aeroplane will be required to meet
the following requirements for the issue of a JAR-FCL
ATPL(A):

• Achieve 1500 hours as pilot of aeroplanes, to
include;
(i) 500 hours on multi-pilot aeroplanes,
(ii) 250 hours PIC of which up to 150 hours may
be PIC U/S,
(iii) 200 hours cross country flight of which 100
hours may be as P2 or PIC U/S,
(iv) 75 hours of instrument time of which not more
than 30 hours may be instrument ground time,
(v) not more than 100 hours may be in a flight
simulator

Nothing there about a Frozen ATPL. The route is CPL/IR + ATPL theory exams to ATPL. Like I said first time.

I know you need the exams to qualify to obtain an MPA rating, but I stand by the statement that no such licence as Frozen ATPL exists. It is still a CPL/IR (with ATPL theory credits).

Many of my former students had little more than 200 hours when they went into the right seat of a 757/737... I cannot remember even one of them being 'completely unsafe'... more a reflection of your own low ability methinks...
I can assure you my ability is not in question but would you feel safe as a pax if FO 200 hour Bloggs is left sitting beside a dead captain on his first day post-safety pilot when an engine fails, the aircraft gets iced up, the destination closes and the fuel is running low?? A far-fetched circumstance of course but, as you should know, anything that can happen in aviation will happen. I don't care if Bloggs is the $hittest-hot new FO the company has ever seen, I know I'd rather be nowhere nearby. I conclude by saying I am damned glad, and are any of my colleagues I have talked to about this, that we got through our first few hundred hours without any major incidents.