PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High turnover of Pilots in ESSO (Bas Strait)
Old 26th Feb 2005, 10:15
slowlane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe it is time to set the record straight here.

Interesting reading guys’, it’s a shame to let the truth get in the way of a good story.

John Eacott,

a. Yes
b. No. Esso still has several of the old school Captains with at least one over 55.

piggy_mcbeef,

“Two years ago, the basic pay for a contract captain was $90000
per year.” This has risen by approx 8% with a variety of improved benefits and future negotiated increases as part of an EBA.

CockpitJunkie,

Wrong. Esso started using Co-pilots in 1990, long before any of the old school Captains were approaching 55.

QAZWSX,

ExxonMobil (USA) dictates that Captains have 1500 hours ME command and 3000 hours helicopter. The amount of co-pilot/ICUS required varies with the individual in order to achieve this goal.

Chairmanofthebored,

Going home every night appeals to a lot of people. Show me a job that doesn’t get tedious and/or boring.

High Nr,

All pilots employed are done so with the aim of progression through to a Captain position. There is a competency based upgrade program in place that is fully explained at the interview. Interviews are conducted by HA Manager, HA Chief Pilot and Esso Chief Pilot.

Captains are required to be ME Command Instrument Rated and Co-pilots are required to have a Co-pilot Instrument Rating. Currently several Co-pilots have a Command ME IR.

Day operation is normally VFR only and night operation is IFR.

Esso (ExxonMobil) are the operator. HA are not.

Evod,

Upgrade to Captain is when an individual meets the requirements. There is no max number of Captains. Time is about 4 years for an individual with minimum experience and down to 2-3 months for someone with a S76 endorsement. All training is done by Esso.

CockpitJunkie,

Wrong. Helicopters Australia employs all new Captains and Co-pilots.

sammy76,

Minimum requirement for Co-pilots is 700 hrs Helicopter including 500 hours turbine command and a NVFR rating.

lills,

In addition there are several other Co-pilots flying ICUS at the moment.