PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for the '89ers
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2005, 08:34
The_Cutest_of_Borg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I often wonder how differently things may have turned out had we resources such as the Internet available at such turning points as 1989.

King oath...

The then president of AIPA. ... hmmmmm.

Speaking as a humble troop at the time, I can say that I have no recollection of that promise being communicated to the AIPA membership. If you controlled the AIPA newsletter in those days you controlled AIPA, something the present leadership is having to come to grips with in regard to the internet. But it wouldn't surprise me one iota if it panned out exactly as you say. His swift absorption into management after the dispute and his actions since, speak for themselves. I would hate to be in charge of his farewell function from QF as phone booths are difficult to book and probably wouldn't be filled anyway.

What I can say is that I also have no recollection of carrying domestic passengers on flights such as the extension of the QF1 through SYD to MEL. I am not naive enough to believe it didn't occur, but I remember flying a lot of half empty aeroplanes around.
You guys have got to remember that the QF of 89 bears very little resemblance to today's model. We had 9 767's fully employed on International duty and around 28 classic 747's also similiarly employed. There was no mass domestic redeployment but international extension legs were flown. Not a lot of them, but definitely flown. That is how I recall it anyway but would stand to be corrected.

As far as the decision to leave AFAP in 82 is concerned, only about 8% of the current pilot list were around then and the architect is long dead. It happened, in hindsight it can be argued that it was a retrograde step, but we are talking 23 years ago.

It saddens me to know that QF pilots who were largely ignorant of the events you mention are being held to blame by people affected. Two thirds of the pilot list have joined SINCE 1989. It's probably not fair but I can see your point of view.

regards TCOB