PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Left seat only for ME captains?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2005, 14:28
P-T-Gamekeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roly, Beags et al.

Just read your earlier posts regarding non-Q FI's.

I think you are a little off the mark here. To get a guy to be a QFI, he needs to be away from the front line for at least 3 years, to give his pound of flesh to CFS. With FI's, you get current knowledge from your experienced operators, to pass on to the next generation.

We cannot afford to lose all our instructors for this length of time. They get plenty of instructional teaching from the AIC, Sqn FI's and Staneval. They are not (usually) allowed to conduct OCU trg - still a QFI domain - but are the best people to impart their CURRENT experience during recurrent trg / pre-det trg.

Also, having a Q qual does not make one gods gift. I know many co's with far greater instructional ability than some of the CFS love-children i have met.

In an ideal world, we would have enough time / trg capacity to allow everyone a full CFS cse, with an immediate return to the front line. In the same way, it would be fantastic to have the the ability to train everybody Tac, NVG, strips etc.

The reality is, however, that we are constrained by time and manpower. As with the main topic of this thread, we must make best use of our resources, and FI's are this.