PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shame Qantas Shame
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 23:37
DEFCON4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salary Myth

Let's clear something up ...Qantas Cabin Crew are well paid..NOT OVERPAID..The wages are in line with what other airlines pay their crew.The reason most other carriers have a better crew/pax ratio than Qantas is simple...THEY WANT TO PROVIDE EXCELLENT SERVICE,Qantas doesn't.
I talk to a lot of other crew from other airlines and I am here to tell you we earn no more(and sometimes less) than other carriers.Wages are commensurate with the comparative cost of living in each country.Compare apples with apples please.
While we are the subject of wages lets have a look at QF management.For a work force of 35,000 there are over 700 managers receiving excessive wages for running a third rate airline.Any business is only as good as its management allows it to be.Cabin crew are small cogs in a big machine and have very little control over the basics required for a good airline.
Delays, breakdowns, an inflight entertainment that doesn't entertain.A lack of basics like: childrens packs, P/C,J/C menus,blankets pillows, dry ginger ale ,tomato juice,tabasco,headsets,enough wine.
When you are at 35,000 feet and you run out of or don't have these basics you can't go outside to the local grocer and get them.
I now make Apology PAs as soon as we level off for the stuff we don't have.What else can I do?
If someone can tell me how to make things better I would love to hear it because I have just about given up.I am so totally limited by what I can do I am driven to distraction.I JUST WANT TO DO MY JOB WELL BUT I AM NOT GIVEN THE RESOURCES!!!!