PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ...............This time wankers
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2005, 02:40
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxgrad
Thanks for your valuable information. I do know these things, as I have been doing it for 30 odd years. The Point is that many pilots in Australia do not fly often, and the system is unneccesarily complicated, often stupid and ambiguous. The Ayers Rock example is one case. The aerodrome near Ayers Rock was called Yulara, and that worked fine. Then they changed it. Both Ayers Rock, and the aerodrome which is ten nm away were called Ayers rock. This led to at least one incident where there was confusion, and an aeroplane flew across the track of another. And it will happen again. Ayers Rock, is now to be called "The Rock" even though the earthlings, and all the maps (including the WAC charts) say it is Ayers Rock. The Connellan aerodrome, ten miles away near Yulara village, is to be called Ayers Rock.?????? This is illogical, unnecessary, and unsafe.
Unnecessary confusion.
Our system too often relies on having pilots rote learning and memorising masses in olligical information, instead of using common sense and fact.
I'm not talking about places having two names. I am talking about two different olaces having the same name, and this problem generated by our friendly regulator/service provider.