PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What flying schools don't teach you...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2005, 19:17
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get me wrong. Perhaps I didn't word that post as well as I could have. I'm not blaming CFIs for not teaching this stuff, I'm saying it's not their job, and they couldn't even if it were. There are just too many diverse jobs out there for anyone to teach all of it, and nobody, and I mean nobody, knows all of it. The expense would be far beyond what anyone could afford even if someone tried. I agree with you that all a commercial course can, or should, teach is the basics. Job-specific skills are learned on the job, as needed. In an ideal world, all CFIs would be highly experienced, with many thousands of hours, but that isn't the way it works. The industry is the way it is, and won't change soon. I don't blame CFIs for this, I blame the people with money.

If the pilot can't pick up the required skills quickly, then he won't last long. Flying helicopters commercially requires intelligence, judgement, and adaptability, and not everyone with the money to pay for a license will have all those in the required proportions and amounts, just as not everyone who goes to work as a car salesman will be able to be successful at it. The school can only take the money and turn out a pilot who can perform to the minimum required levels, and then the pilot has to learn as he goes.