PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Left seat only for ME captains?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2005, 13:05
Shackman

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Shack beat me to the punch re LHS or RHS. As both a Shackleton Co-pilot and Captain I was expected to fly the aircraft from either seat (but usually from the LHS - and how I remember the 2 hour change over routine, jumping from one seat into the other!). That also meant that we were expected to be able fly and if necessary fight the aircraft on any task or operation, Capt or Co, no matter the height or weather conditions. Bombing (practice depth charge runs) was normally done at 100ft from the LHS, and god help you from the wrath of the rest of the crew if you failed to get '50-50 Zero line' on cat checks and the rest. Assymetric really did mean something on the old lady, but if it was 'the co's turn' for landing he would be expected to deal with it.

Bouy 15 - Interesting, it was C8 on MOTU when we first went off as Captain (the same point as Nimrod OCU L8 presumably) and all pilots qualified from MOTU as 1st pilot!

However, surely there is one thing missing from this thread. This a military environment, which in turn leads to a threat that your average A320 driver will not have to expect. We operate into potentially hazardous places. It only takes one man with an AK47 - or even an old musket with a lucky shot - to potentially disable the person in the LHS. If you fly an aircraft where it is essential (as many contributors seem to hint) that the aircraft is landed from the LHS then both should be capable of doing it - and if necessary being able to change seats in the air. War (and even peace these days) is messy, and that is our job in the military - not building up hours for ATPLs ( but it does help).