PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racism & Bigotry in the UK Armed Forces
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2005, 21:28
hayelz81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CClash:
"A few months ago I was travelling on the underground just after rush hour when this well-dressed drunk boarded the carriage and let off a string of racist invective at the passengers, most of whom were black business types. What shocked me was the reactions of the passengers - they buried their heads deeper into their books and magazines, and pretended to ignore him. It was clear by the body language that such verbal attacks were not uncommon. I cheerfully pushed the uncouth gentleman off at the next stop, gently inviting him to have a go at me, if he felt the need to take the matter further."

I hate to be brutally honest, here, but most people wont get involved in this kind of situation, for fear of a knife being pulled out on them for stating their objection. THis isn't a scare story, but merely the state of our society today. I dont think I would have said anything either, if it was words being said (when it would come to physical violence, I would get off at next stop and report to the train staff), and unless anyone else on here was 6'3", stacked and surrounded by 5 mates, Idont think JOe Bloggs Public would say anything either.

Am I right?

I saw a womans hand bag - all her important possessions like credit cards, house keys, mobile, address book, important phone numbers, drycleaning receipts contained within - tore right rom her shoulder by a young man, who she proceeded to run after screaming for help, but who stopped? No-one, thats right. Sad as it is, its the world of today.