PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Left seat only for ME captains?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2005, 15:02
P-T-Gamekeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of issues here methinks.

VC-10 and Nimrod are narrow engined jets.
C-130 K/J/E/H/W2 etc are wide engined TP

C-130's have significant asymetric and x-wind issues, which require significant nosewheel steering inputs for directional control. As only LHS has nosewheel steering, captaain can only control his ac in emergency situations from the LHS. OCU QFI's are considered suitably experienced to captain from either seat, but other captains, if qualified and current IAW GASO'S are only allowed to operate RHS as non-captain.

I believe strongly in the progression of competent co's, which we have many, but trying to make LCR (just!!) copilots LHS/RHS qualified is a significant flight safety issue, and I believe IFS should be involved to stop this lunacy.

It has been suggested that we can let co's fly LHS on basic sorties when the weather is good. How do you then change seats when you lose 2 on T/O, or have to divert to a contaminated strip with a significant x-wind.

In a system where the captain is solely responsible for the operation of his ac, how can he do so when he cannot operate the necessary controls.