PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - anxiety,am I alone
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2005, 09:07
PRobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trentino,

That anxiety vs rationality thing is, for me, the worst aspect of this illness. You know it's not rational and yet can't stop feeling anxious; how does that work?! My symptoms have seen me not getting on any form of public transport so I can certainly sympathise.

I'm currently on anti-depressants and awaiting an outpatients appt for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which I'm advised can be very effective (it might be worth asking your GP if this is an option but the waiting list here is 9-10 months). My GP also suggested alternative therapies. I was very sceptical but have quite taken to reike which, if nothing else, gives me an hour of excellent relaxation. I think it may be helping - I enjoy it so I'm sticking with it. I also try to exercise which is supposed to help - I go swimming cos I find it relaxing too. Finally, Zinc supplements are also said to help.

Hope I've not been telling you too much stuff you don't already know. I've suffered a fair few illnesses in my time - hey, I even contrived to die once! - but anxiety is easily the worst thing that's happened to me (well I wasn't aware of the dying thing at the time; ignorance was bliss!) precisely because I've always been driven by logic and rationality and then something really irrational struck me down. I hope it's some consolation to you that, having taken steps to reduce stress in my life (along with meds etc) I'm now feeling a lot better and more contented. Good luck to you - and remember you are by no means alone.