PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of the Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2005, 03:47
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

it's now SOP that the autoland HAS to be used more often than not....In the same way, SOP dictates that for economy, the automation has to be switched on at 500 Ft on the departure.
Would you care to name which companies this is SOP's for, Irish Steve? By "automation", are you referring to lateral navigation?
Now, it's regarded as a major incident if an engine is shut down,
Really? By whom? The press perhaps..and some "terrified for my life" pax they happen to find!
Engine shutdowns are a relatively regular occurrence in worldwide commercial aviation operations, and BECAUSE they are handled proficiently, more often than not, they don't rate a mention.

I've seen a non pilot with no real flight simulator experience, after less than an hour of careful instruction, handle a heavy jet full flight sim landing into the old Kai Tak.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make by that statement - do you? It was arriving at a particular point, in a certain configuration, that allowed the aircraft to make its successful landing - and as you stated, he was talked through the landing anyway (after about an hour of careful instruction).