PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 In Manchester
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2005, 11:30
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some balance must be brought here. I work for easyJet but in years gone by used to work for what was then Channel Express and so know both well. The harsh reality of the low cost world is that if you want a Boeing or Airbus rating you will have to pay for it somehow or other. It is easy to criticise these companies but the other side of the coin is that they have been fleeced by guys doing a runner and not paying the bond plus they must compete by keeping costs down. Remember there is wicked competition out there and paying £20k+ for every pilot trained is just not going to happen these days. In truth, Jet2 is not that bad a deal but you cannot speak of working for them in the same breath as working for easyJet. A captain at easyJet who is working normally will get paid in the regon of £80k per year including all allowances which is way in excess of Jet 2's salaries. After 2 years the loyalty bonuses kick in as well which are 5% per annum until 5 years where it becomes 10%.

The boss of Jet2 (PM) is a hard guy and will leave you in the gutter with nothing if the need arises (just ask any F27 pilot) - but he is also a great businessman. He has chosen a hard world to go into and has basically followed easyJet to the letter. He was right to do so because easyJet's business model really works and they are now into the dual business of defending their own territory and fighting everyone else on their new routes. The one difference is PM has gone for clapped-out old 737-300s whereas easyJet have gone now for the A319 which is more efficient and faster (and much nicer to fly but that is another story). PM has taken a calculated gamble as he probably got his aircraft for pennies and is willing to take the extra running costs to offset it. He can also only attract pilots on grounds of geographical location because the salaries are so bad. Nevertheless there is a steady stream of ex-turboprop guys who are joining Jet2, biting the bullet, and will in the end have some serious jet time in with which to get themselves a better deal somewhere better. What I am saying is do not knock Jet2 - they are taking on the big boys and PM rarely makes big business errors. easyJet undoubtedly see him as a threat, and with good reason. Time will tell if PM is up to the battle with easyJet and Ryanair and I certainly would not write him off.

It is not meant as an insult, and please do not take it as such, but Jet 2 is the bottom end of the jet market and you should not deceive yourselves otherwise. In terms of employers, if you are offered a job with Jet2 then it is a brave man who turns it down without a good alternative. If, however, you are in that most fortunate of positions of having an offer from another Boeing or Airbus operator then my strong advice would be to not touch Jet2 with a barge pole.

Last edited by Norman Stanley Fletcher; 16th Feb 2005 at 11:44.