PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those damned pedantic idiot captains
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2005, 04:51
Menen

I posted a reply but it may have got lost in space, so apologies if it appears again as a double up.

Regarding the case of the speed brake failure to extend and lack of action by the caotain. The captain concerned is unapproachable and in any case it is a courageous (remember Yes Minister prose?) first officer that would go running to higher authority to report a boorish captain. Best relax, have a nice cup of tea, and put it down to experience.

The event reminds me of the type of captain that is affable and easy going to his crew members while enjoying a few drinks at the pub, but as soon as he sits in the left seat a transformation takes place and he turns into a pedantic unyeilding I AM THE CAPTAIN type. One is caught completely by surprise by this transformation of persona.

The unsettling part of it all is as soon as the trip is over and you are in the bus back to the hotel, he transforms back into being a really nice bloke while is seemingly oblivious to the damage he has wreaked on the poor first officer. CRM of course means nothing to this rather dangerous cockpit companion.