PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standardisation ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2005, 01:32
BigEndBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't been to one yet, but surely the instructor seminars are a good place for standardisation to take place.

But dare say those providing each have there own opinions of what is standard.

I remember doing my IR test with CAA examiner. Asked him why the CAA could not produce a document from head office for candidates to standardise what is supposed to be known for passing test, eg timing in old, rumours varied from being "on track inbound for 30 sec to 15 sec" depending on which IR instructor you spoke to. His reply was "they should know (the IR instructors) what is required for their candidates to pass the test" Right!

As far as night flying i am quite happy for the student to switch off landing light when turned to look up final, at least they aren't preoccupied looking for the checklist which has fallen onto the floor in the dark! even so, a correctly aligned landing / taxi light should not be pointing up into the air.

For irregular flyers i think the checklist is essential. Once qualified the 'student' pilot may fly infrequently, this i explain to them is the reason why they have to use a checklist and i often don,t.

I was onced asked by a student "do i have to always do these checks" i said "no", "become a flying instructor and get your student to do them!"